News & Events
Colleen Hennessy and CAEDC Wellness Team Receive an Award
Congratulations to Colleen Hennessy and the CAEDC Health & Wellness Team on receiving the 2019 Community Innovation Award from Dakota Resources!The Health & Wellness Team super-powered Community Health and Wellness Goals by bringing together already effective organizations and individuals to work together toward making those Goals reality. They engaged team members from; Custer Regional Hospital and Clinic, Custer School District including individual teachers and our school district food provider Lunchtime Solutions, the Custer YMCA, the City of Custer, the Custer Area Economic Development Corporation, the Custer Area Chamber of Commerce, the Veteran’s Memorial Park committee, two of our local food shelf organizations, our local farmer’s market, local ag producers, SD Game, Fish, and Parks (Custer State Park), and other private organizations and community members. The team felt that sharing resources and information would make all of our community’s health and wellness efforts more effective. And it has - the committee includes 97 people working on different aspects of our goals!
Health & Wellness Team achievements so far are:
- Healthy Hometown Walk Audit
- Recreational Service Providers Report, 3rd edition
- Nicotine free policy in all of City parks and facilities
- Parks Wayfinding signs in process. The funding is in place and design approved!
- Flashing Crosswalk – to be installed soon at the Hwy 16A - Mickelson Trail Crossing
- Installation of four benches on Mickelson trail – coming soon!
Watch for new Health & Wellness initiatives coming soon focusing on better nutrition and expanding exercise opportunities in Custer.